CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Confession: I (Sorta) Rocked the Vote

So we all know that I'm a Democrat. Open curtains, there's no surprise there. But yesterday I almost didn't vote. Wanna know why?

Because it's a ten minute drive in the opposite direction of where I was going (oral surgeon) and I didn't want to wait. Seriously. Pathetic.

Let me tell you about voting yesterday. I drove up in my car. I walked inside, filled out a two-line form verifying my identity. Was the first person in line to show my ID and get a card for the machine. Walked straight to one, put in all my votes, reviewed them, and cast my ballot. Got a sticker and a bottle of water. Drove to TJ Maxx and went shopping. In thirty minutes, I saw my oral surgeon, drove ten minutes to my polling place, then went shopping.

I wasn't intimidated. I wasn't beaten bloody, almost to death. I wasn't put into an asylum for thinking it should be my right to speak my peace. No one told me I was at the wrong place, causing me to walk nine miles in the other direction, only to be told the original station was my place to vote. Suffering? I know nothing of it.

And I stand ashamed of myself, for taking for granted the immense right that was won on the backs, bruised and nearly broken, of men and women before me just a few generations.

When I was at TJ Maxx buying some new workout gear, the older woman who was the fitting room attendant, after noting my "I'm a Georgia voter" sticker, said, "Well, do you think we'll have a black president or a white president tonight?". As I tried to conceal my shock, I simply said, "Well, we'll see"! As I was walking into the room, she called after me, "I didn't vote, so whatever happens, you can't blame me"!

Sigh. But for the grace of God, there go I.

No comments: